Yerba mate is a stimulant with an ingredient known as mateine, which is similar to caffeine, without some of the known side effects. The mateine in yerba mate can help increase your metabolism and increase your energy, thereby burning fat in the process.
Yerba mate also has a relaxing effect that can calm your emotions and make you less prone to fall into overeating while stressed—a condition known as stress eating. This effect of yerba mate has also been known to stop cravings you may have for unhealthy foods. In addition, yerba mate has been found to slow down the rate of gastric emptying. This leads to dieters feeling fuller longer and less likely to overeat. It's easier to burn fat when you're not burning off all the excess food you're eating.
Yerba mate's weight loss properties were discovered during a study in which dieters consumed yerba mate along with guarana and damiana. It is unknown at this time whether the weight loss properties are from yerba mate, the other herbs in the study or the combination of all three. Yerba mate has also been known to delay the onset of lactic acid in your muscles—a condition that many exercisers know as "the burn." A delaying of "the burn" allows you to work out for longer than usual, thereby also increasing your ability to burn more fat.
Other Benefits of Yerba Mate
- A study on small mammals suggests that yerba mate can lower cholesterol levels and blood sugar level.
- Yerba mate can help the body to produce more bile and soften your stool, allowing your body's digestive system to operate more smoothly.
- Even though yerba mate is a stimulant, it can help you sleep sounder. Sleep is a critical component of a healthy life.
- Unlike other stimulants which can cause undue stress on your heart, yerba mate can actually be helpful to your heart by increasing supply of oxygen to the heart.
- It can also relax your blood vessels, increasing circulation and lowering blood pressure.
- Yerba mate is also believed to reduce inflammation of the lungs.